Landscape Design Challenge
This client wanted to liven up an expansive lawn that surrounded the front and side of the house. It lacked interest, dimension, and color mixture.The area was ideal for creating a large, yet low profile landscape feature.
OUR INTUITIVE SOLUTION
Jamie evaluated the site and proposed a unique design solution.
- Create a complex labyrinth design utilizing stone and low growing shrubbery
- Enhance eye-appeal from the sidewalk and reduce turf area
- Result in a "wow" factor feature that invites friends and neighbors to enjoy
Realizing the Project
Turf in the project area was removed following the proposed circular footprint of the labyrinth.
Organic compost and soil enhancements were installed. Mulch was heavily laid to manage moisture and prevent weeds.
Large light-colored stone blocks were installed that completely encircled the labyrinth area to add texture, color, and dimension.
The landscape design was converted from a computer file to a large format pattern that could be laid out on the ground to guide the precision location and planting of shrubbery, designated pathways, and stone placement.
The plant pallet consisted of Dwarf Mondo Grass chosen to create a simple, visible border for the meditative path. Mondo Grass is a slow growing, non-invasive ground cover making it very easy to maintain.
We created an interesting labyrinth design that thrilled the homeowners. Neighbors walking by were encouraged to enjoy the labyrinth. Children especially enjoyed this unique lawn feature. The low growing plant pallet made it easy for the youngsters to navigate.
- Reduced turf in this area of yard has resulted in lower water use.
- New landscaping has greatly enhanced the overall look of the home.
- This "wow" factor feature turned an uninspiring area into an eye-catching and visually interesting space.